Presently in the iPod

  • Wildflowers, Tom Petty
  • Dino, Dean Martin
  • Vs, Pearl Jam
  • Redemption Songs, Jars of Clay
  • Suddenly I Miss Everyone, Explosions in the Sky

Thursday, February 16, 2006

The Pursuit of Knowing Him


This week I've begun to sink my teeth into J.I. Packer's classic work, Knowing God. I've never read anything by Packer before, but his name and particularly this book seems to pop up frequently on must read book lists. With a hardy endorsement from my wife to boot, I am off and running.

In the book's first couple of chapters Packer draws clear lines between what it is to know things about God and what it is to truly know Him. He directly challenged my current burning interest in Theology with a great caution.

"We find in ourselves a deep interest in theology (which is, of course, a most fascinating and intriguing subject--in the seventeenth century it was every gentleman's hobby). We read books of theological expositions and apologetics. We dip into Christian history, and study the Christian creed. We learn to find our way around the scriptures... All very fine--yet interest in theology, and knowledge about God, and the capacity to think clearly and talk well on Christian themes, is not at all the same thing as knowing him. We may know as much about God as Calvin knew--indeed, if we study his works diligently, sooner or later we shall--and yet all the time(unlike Calvin I may say) we may hardly know God at all."

I think this is noteworthy to many of us growing in our faith and walks with God. As we grow in knowledge it can easily lead to a haughty attitude, a superiority complex, and flat out arrogance that doesn't glorify God on any grounds. We must be careful that we don't allow our knowledge to become the "knowledge that puffs up" as Paul once wrote. But how do guard against these results?

Packer goes on to say at the end of chapter 2, "First, we must recognize how much we lack knowledge of God. We must learn to measure ourselves, not by our knowledge about God, not by our gifts and responsibilities in the church, but by how we pray and what goes on in our hearts. Many of us, I suspect, have no idea how impoverished we are at this level. Let us ask the Lord to show us."

Very convicting stuff indeed. There is no doubt that the Lord has moved me to pick up this book for the very reason of keeping my ego in check as I pursue a very keen interest in theology. Tonight, I'll be praying that the Lord will show me how impoverished I really am by revealing the true condition of my heart.

8 comments:

Dustin said...

I would say that this is one of the most important books (notice I say books, not the Bible) that has ever been written.

I picked this book up when doing a hometeam on the Attributes of God about a year and a half ago. I skimmed through some chapters for "information", but really started reading it cover to cover on my honeymoon.

This book not only brags and illuminates God and His Character, but really convicts and challenges the individual. I highly recomend this book, not just to read on one's own, but to go through with a group of people. Packer's writing is incredible. God has convicted much in me through his writing in this work.

Ryan said...

Thanks Dustin. I'm only a couple of chapter's into this thing, but it is very clear that J.I. backs up what he is saying with lots of scripture and that is very refreshing in this day of "emergent" theology. I'm sure I'll be posting more as the days go by.

Mark said...

I haven't read Knowing God yet, but I just started reading 'Evangelism & the Sovereignty of God', by J.I.P. (my first book of by this author). J.I.P. is an oft qouted fella, so I am looking forward to getting into some of his writing.

Have you read 'Knowledge of the Holy', by Tozer? Wow, great book. From what y'all are saying about liking Knowing God, I bet you would enjoy Tozer.

Grace and peace,

Ryan said...

Mark, thanks for checking out my blog. I haven't personally read any Tozer, but one of my best friends really raves about him. I plan on reading something by him this year. Maybe after finishing Knowing God. I also have Rediscovering Holiness by Packer on my shelf and I would like to get around to that one too. So many books, so little time.

Dustin said...

I think we tend to fall in love with theology and even the Bible (wait till you get to that chapter Ryno) than Christ. Our quest becomes about knowlege and not about our relationship with Christ.

I was told by a mentor a long time ago to always be reading a dead person. Tozer is that guy for me. I've worn out my copy of "Knowledge of the Holy". Knowing God and KOTH go hand in hand.

Ryan said...

All right you guys have convinced me, it's Tozer's knowledge of the Holy as soon as I finish Knowing God. Thanks for the great discussion guys.

Mark said...

Good point Dustin, it is a trap to think more highly of what we think about God than just knowing Him.

Ryan said...

Yep. If the things we are learning about God aren't pushing us toward a greater awe of Him, a greater fear and reverence, then we should probably do spiritual oil check. (I just made that up). It seems to me that when our knowledge about Him leads to a deeper knowledge of Him, the end result should be joyful obedience to Him.